Links to related pages:CCHS program of events for 2017
Carlton and Chellington were originally two separate but closely neighbouring villages in Bedfordshire, each with its own church. The ecclesiastical parishes were united in 1769, and the civil parishes in 1934. The Carlton and Chellington Historical Society was founded in November 1993, and for most of its lifetime it has had well over 100 members. They come not only from Carlton and Chellington; many are from neighbouring villages, and some, whose ancestors lived in our villages, are from places much further away.
Each year the Society organizes a talk or a visit for each month from February through to November. Talks are are usually held in Carlton Village Hall, The Moor, Carlton, Beds., MK43 7JR, on the third Thursday of the month. Coffee and biscuits are served from 7:30 p.m., and the talk itself starts at 8:00. Non-members are welcome. Admission fees are £1.00 for members, and £3.00 for non-members.
The Society publishes a quarterly newsletter, distributed free to members. It has also produced several other publications, some available in book form and others downloadable from the internet. A subgroup of members has specific interests in local family history.
Carlton and Chellington Historical Society is affiliated locally to the Bedfordshire Local History Association, and nationally to the British Association for Local History (see the links on the left of this page).
Current committee members:
Officers of the Society:
Chairman: Mike Meade, 5 The Moor, Carlton, Bedford, MK43 7JR, (01234) 720070;
Vice-chair: Myriam Ritchie, (01234) 721119;
Secretary, David Chadwick, 1 Meadway, Harrold, Bedford, MK43 7DP, (01234) 721497, E-mail CCHSsec@gmail.com
Treasurer, June Wood, 4 Pavenham Road, Carlton, Bedford, MK43 7LS, (01234) 720689.
Other committee members:
Louise Heathcote, Pam Hider, Lloyd Lugsden, Judy Meade, Mike Pratt (Newsletter Editor), Winifred Pratt.
(This page last updated 2017-07-11)